Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Reflective Journal Week 6

Assessment of Student Learning in the Online Classroom

It's Wednesday and I have not posted on this weeks discussion board. I have not been lazy though. I have been researching my final project.

I have an assignment this week to develop a 10 question online survey that I could use to gather background information from my students to personalize my online course. I used Survey Monkey. It was very user friendly.

Click Here to take survey


I need to look at the rest of my week and do some serious time management .

My discussion reflection summarizes my intrepretation of our weekly reading. We read about cybercoaching and techniques to allow a students to make mistakes, corrections and complete an assignment to a a high level of quality in both the student and instructors perspective.

We compared our instructor Dr. Khalsa online course with our Casey article from last week. The biggest difference for me was that Casey so dramatic in her writing that it was difficult to read. Khalsa was the opposite, she developed a course from the ground up with the intent to teach it on line.

Below are our discussion questions and my response.

1. Compare the assessment techniques from Casey to those used in Khalsa journalism class

The assessment similarities of the two articles were that there was a variety of assessment used to provide for topic exploration. Both classes incorporated an element of flexibility in the assessments, which benefit the student.

The Casey course started out with a basic question, then exploded like fireworks; her thoughts and ideas spread in every direction. In your course the basic question was systemically added on to and developed in an organized thoughtful approach.

Another difference was that Casey intended her course to be delivered in a traditional format. Your course was always intended to be in online format. Thus, the course and assessments built the online community from the start.

The Casey article was disorganized and difficult to read. Yours was the opposite, thoughtful and building blocks within the course structure.

2. Which aspects of the Khalsa course follow cybercoaching.

You are an excellent cybercoach. Your courses build a nice sense of community. You provided very timely monitoring and suggestions. Your email to me today, models the philosophy of a cybercoach.

For example: You (Ann) wrote, "What is the first thought that comes to your mind as we start our online class?"

Dr.Khalsa: You could offer them a 'feeling' about your first online class to set the stage and help them focus and feel more comfortable answering. You could write instead, "I remember my first online course distinctly. I was concerned if others would find my discussion posts meaningful. What is the first thought that comes to your mind as we start our online class?"

You offered to help us clean up our learning objectives for our final project.

I am impressed at how often you comment within our discussions and give us feedback and direction. I am impressed at how quickly you respond to questions and email.

As a coach you offer us detailed information for us to improve so we will be better online assessors.

3. What highlights will I apply to my online course assessment?

I will strive to model your involvement and continual feedback during the course. I will develop a sense of community by using surveys, group work and interviews. I will try to assign a balanced amount of course work. Online courses are much more time consuming that f2f. When the student has to be the student and become their own teacher, reading, interpreting, researching and teaching themselves takes a tremendous amount of time. I have come to realize that the student has to work on the course some each day. I model your course structure and clarity.

I enjoy learning something new. I enjoy a course so much more when there is a low level of frustration. I enjoy a course when I know what is expected of me and how I can learn the material and get the only grade I am happy with.

You are an excellent online instructor, providing me an excellent online role model. Students are comfortable asking questions and even challenging you. You respond with grace.

Ann Williams

No comments:

Post a Comment