Sunday, October 4, 2009

Refection Journal Week 1

Assessment of Student Learning in the Online Classroom

I have taken on line classes before and know that time management is critical. My challenge
was that my daughter was getting married on Friday. I knew Thursday night with rehearsal and Saturday gift opening; this was going to be a very busy week.

As soon as I could I printed Module 1 content and tackled the reading and activities. Oh no! No one responded to work with me on the interview! Finally, Joyce and I connected and I posted it Friday, before I left for the day. That made me nervous.

My other challenge was that we realized that we needed another computer. My husband and I were sharing one. We found we were holding up the other person. Sunday, I went and bought a PC, all of my own. Now I feel spoiled :-)

Very interesting material in the course. I enjoyed meeting all my classmates, from all over the world. I am impressed at how much interaction that we have with our instructor. I like that. I know that it takes a lot of time on her part. I appreciate knowing that the expert is there for me. Datta Kaur Khalsa PHD has been an excellent professor.

Activities for the week:
Readings
Wiki
Interview
Completing a survey
Discussion board participation

The week content on the introduction of online assessments has been interesting. One of my favorite college courses was "What's in a Grade", through University of Laverne, CA. It really sparked on interest in assessment. It woke me up to what assessments purpose is and are we really assessing what we want. I use that course material often. It was based on face to face instruction, but is very applicable to online learning assessment.

Very enjoyable week, my daughter got married, assignments were finished on time, I am enjoying the class, life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment